Thursday, April 11, 2013

Tempo Run and Migraine

I was considering doing some speed work before my next race on the 14th until a better plan came along. The Emerging Runner suggested I try some Tempos instead, with 30 seconds of running at my 5k pace.

All went well. My tempo runs were at my planned HM pace, 9:00 min/mi. My current 5k pace is about 8:35. My plan was as follows:

5 min warm up (>10:00)
1 mile tempo,  1/2 mile slow (between 9:30-10:00), 30 sec 5k pace:  4 times.
5 min cool down (I did not cool down - but went on a little longer to finish over 7 miles. I actually pushed toward the end, and surprised myself)

I should have run my 5k pace at least 1 min. By the time I got up to speed, 30 seconds was over. As a matter of fact, Runmeter was so busy announcing my efforts at one point, one of the 30 seconds turned out to be about 15 seconds because of the overlap. She just decided to blow it off, I guess..

Quite happy after my effort, I jumped in the shower to get ready to start my day visiting patients at their homes.

About 2 or 3 minutes in, that familiar crescent shaped, sparkly fractal entered my view from bottom right. I spent another 15 mins or so finishing my shower and following the aura's path through the center of my vision, and then watching as it made it's way up and out of sight to the right. (If I remember correctly, normally, it moves out to the upper left. It was different today)

Usually, I get all bummed out and anxious at the thought of having to deal. But, for some reason, maybe it was because of the endorphins from the run, I was almost indifferent to it. I took some naproxen with a large glass of water, and waited for my fate.

There was no serious pounding. I kept the radio off in the car and put on my sunglasses. (thank goodness it was overcast) There was a feeling like a very small vice grip on the left side of my head, and although I felt like I was wading through molasses most of the morning, every thing was fine. I took another naproxen 2 hrs later, and kept thinking about how great the run was this morning.

I'm still a little 'thick headed' - but ok. I'm grateful that it was a home care day and not a day in the office. The bright lights, ambient noise level and stress of keeping up with patients would have made it all much worse.

This run was enjoyable because I felt I was more able to control my pace. My slow runs should have been slower, but I chose to keep them speedier. I'm able to 'relax' my pace and my 3-2 breathing pattern falls right into place. There is nothing like getting the right amount of oxygen!

My new mantra when tired is, "You feel sooo good right now!" Somehow, my body believes it when I say it. At least it did today.


Magellan Data
Runmeter Data

7 comments:

  1. Thankfully you didn't get a full-on headache! I like your mantra! I hope you don't mind if I try it out on Saturday :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Mi Mantra es su mantra!
      Either the headaches are getting less severe as I get older, or the OTC meds are working on them better.

      (I removed my first post because I thought you were my sister posting and made reference to her. She ended up having one yesterday too.)

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry that you had another migraine but at least the impact was less severe than it could have been. A 7+ mile run is a lot to take on during the week of a race taper. I've concluded that, in the days before a race, the benefit of incremental rest outweighs any possible conditioning boost. That's what works for me (tapering with a bias towards rest). But everyone is different. Keep that 3:2 breathing on Sunday and you will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. Oh boy. Well, I feel pretty good today except for a little plantar pain on the right. A few things for you:

    1. I want to thank you again for ALL your advice.

    2. I think I've scheduled too many races in a row - I haven't been able to get a 10+ mile run in in a while. I think that's what convinced me to cycle 4 times on that tempo instead of 2 or 3. I hope I didn't screw up my taper too much.

    3. The PureConnect that you recommended JUST came in today. I put them on, and they are the BEST I've tried on - even better than the Ravennas. Lightweight and SO supportive for my arches at the same time! I'm dying to get out on the road in them! I'm running through the house like an idiot. I know it won't feel the same on the TM- but I'm not running tomorrow, and I'm certainly not going to run in them during the race. I can't wait until Tuesday!
    I think you should moonlight as a running coach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish! Did you wear the Connects during today's race? Have a great trip, happy FL running!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, but I ran in them 1/4 mile before I left the house for the Spinal 5k. They felt GREAT. I switched to the Ravenna's for the race. I'm bringing them to Florida to run in them there.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my musings! Thanks for commenting!