Thursday, January 10, 2013

The second time's a charm - if you're a turtle.

I went out again around the neighborhood after listening to Dr. Maffetone's interview. (see previous post) I figured my heart rate should be between 122-132 according to the articles on his website.

You'd think that running slower would be easy.

It is VERY difficult to do. I imagine it will get easier with time and practice. But I understand the concepts. They all make sense. I am looking forward to improving my body's ability to burn fat as a primary fuel source. I get how that helps my muscles last longer during long runs, especially that 13 miler I'm preparing for. But gee whiz-  it's like I'm doing the 'Couch to 5k' all over again. I'm not tired, I just feel like I'm muddling along.

I planned on running along Shore Road from Oyster Bay to Bayville this weekend. They're still working on it since Sandy destroyed it, so there is no access to cars on the road.  I've heard they are allowing foot traffic. So, I'm going to 'run' that route about 3 or 4 times for my long run this weekend. I'd better bring some podcasts along to listen to. I'm going to be out there a while if I'll be moving at the good Dr.'s pace..

Magellan Data

1 comment:

I appreciate you taking the time to read my musings! Thanks for commenting!